Welcome

I could have blogged about serving my country ... living in Europe ...
my wonderful husband, dogs, or horses ...
building a log home ... or myriad other things ...
but ... NO ... I am blogging about chickens!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pinata Apples

Just purchased a Pinata apple at a Harris Teeter store in the relatively new Maple Lawn development in Howard County MD   (a topic for a seperate post ) on April 27th. In looks and shape, you can see the influence of the Delicious apples. Skin color is very pretty,  streaked by light red and yellow.

 Googled to find out more since I'd never heard of this variety.

The price sticker said "Sp...lt PINATA!" with price code 3435 (which rang up at $2.99/lb), apple weighed in at 0.52lb, and I picked one of the smaller apples. Also label was marker for sale in USA and E-U, with a Facebook scan code.  (I don't have that app on my phone)

Update -- Resolved sticker name... the "p" was actually a " t" with an underlying line from the stemilt logo :  http://www.stemilt.com/Our_Fruit/Fruit-Apples-PINATA.cfm

Firmer and crisper than a Golden Delicious. Not as sweet as a Gala, rather in the medium range of the sweetness scale.  Skin was a bit tough to chew. Texture probably lends itself to cooking, but the price is a bit high for use in pies or applesauce, might make a nice baked apple or dumpling.

However, as I finish my apple, I am not sure I'd purchase more at this price (2.99/lb).  The Pink Lady is the same price and, to me,  a much better eating apple.